ORLANDO, Fla. — Mears Transportation Group, an Orlando-based ground transportation company since 1939, has designed a carbon reduction strategy aimed at achieving a greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions reduction of 20% during the next five years through fuel efficiency, the transition to new technologies, reduced electricity use, waste diversion, and employee education.
MEARS TRANSPORTATION GROUP specializes in luxury sedan, shuttle van, taxi, and motorcoach charter services.
As members of GREEN RIDE GLOBAL — a firm that creates and implements environmental sustainability programs for the ground transportation industry — Mears Transportation Group is using a monitored and measured environmental management system that is ISO 14001 compliant and qualifies them for the inclusion in the US EPA Climate Leaders program.
Some of the initiatives they are implementing include:
• Replacing their Safety Division vehicle fleet with hybrid vehicles;
• Reviewing potential for Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) in taxis and other vehicles;
• Implementing a “paperless” workplace;
• Improving system-wide recycling practices, including vehicle fluids and tires;
• Educating and incentivizing “green behavior” for all employees;
• Using and expanding blended fuel options for their motorcoaches;
• Accelerating engine and vehicle replacement with 2010 emissions standards;
• Replacing their trolley fleet with clean engine technology;
• Using “green” vendors;
• Maximizing load factors with chartered business.
The team at Mears Transportation Group recognized the need to incorporate environmental sustainability into ground transportation.
“Although our organization is one of the ‘greenest’ charter bus companies in the world as it relates to fuel consumption per passenger mile, we have joined the Green Ride Global program to enhance our commitment to the environment,” says Roger Chapin, vice president of public affairs for Mears Transportation Group. “We are committed to reducing our greenhouse gas emissions from every aspect of our business operations and can now provide a service that will help our clients reach their own reductions targets.”
— Nicole Schlosser, LCT Magazine