People

Industry Pioneer Dies of a Heart Attack at Age 63

Posted on March 1, 1994 by LCT Staff

The modern limousine industry lost one of its founding members on January 1, 1994 when Carlos Perry Allen died of a heart attack following a stroke. Allen stretched his first limousine in 1966 in Mexico City and went on to build hundreds of limousines under the names Eagle/Allen Coachbuilders and Allen Coachworks as well as for a number of other distributors. He is widely remembered as an energetic and light-hearted person who loved people as much as he loved custom automobiles.

“I have been a coachbuilder since 1952,” Allen told Limousine & Chauffeur several years ago. “At first ... I built sports cars. Then, I got tired of making cars smaller and faster so I decided instead to make them longer and more elegant.”

Allen’s limousines were known for beautifully inlaid wood trim as well as innovative features such as raised roofs, rain gutters, and extended passenger doors. “Anybody can stretch a car, that’s only 12 percent of the job,” said Allen. “The other 88 percent is the fine finish.”

Allen admired the finish of European luxury cars and visited manufacturers in England, France, and Spain to study production processes.

In 1975, Allen met Ainsley Dencker and formed Bradford Coachworks to distribute limousines in the eastern United States. When Bradford faded, Allen launched Allen Coachworks which also succumbed to a declining demand for limousines in the late 1980s.

Drawn back to the limousine industry by his love for designing and building luxury vehicles, Allen formed a new company, AJR Coachworks, in late 1993 and was preparing to exhibit a limousine at the past month’s Limousine & Chauffeur Show when he died. True to his word, Allen once told L&C, “Coachbuilding is all I’ve ever done, and I plan to keep doing it until I’m pushing up daisies.”

View comments or post a comment on this story. (0 Comments)

More News

Long Island Operators Celebrate At Black Tie Gala

The Long Island Limousine Association awards banquet recognized member and vendor contributions to the industry.

Operators Mourn Loss Of Industry Colleague

Funeral services will be held Jan. 13 for Wisconsin operator Kevin "Big K" Doublin who had a loyal following of friends and peers.

California Group Elects New Slate Of Officers

The GCLA welcomes a new board of directors to take on some of the toughest regulatory battles in the industry.

Mobility Expert Joins Executive Ranks At Blacklane

The new COO/CFO will apply his experience to improving customer service on the ground and online.

Limo Patriot Ride Revs Up For Military Cause

The award-winning fundraiser serves as the ideal capstone to the International LCT Show.

See More News

Facebook Comments ()

Comments (0)

Post a Comment

Submit

Blogs

See More

See More

See More

See More

LCT Store

LCT Magazine - January 2017 $12.95 THE MONEY ISSUE COVER STORY: * Dashboard Helps Steer Company Finances * *



Connect

Experience the three annual industry events for networking for business, showcasing vehicles and products, and getting the tools for success.

Read About Your Region

What’s Happening Near You?
Click on any state to see the latest industry news and events in that region.

More From The World's Largest Fleet Publisher

Automotive Fleet

The Car and truck fleet and leasing management magazine

Business Fleet

managing 10-50 company vehicles

Fleet Financials

Executive vehicle management

Government Fleet

managing public sector vehicles & equipment

TruckingInfo.com

THE COMMERCIAL TRUCK INDUSTRY’S MOST IN-DEPTH INFORMATION SOURCE

Work Truck Magazine

The number 1 resource for vocational truck fleets

Metro Magazine

Serving the bus and passenger rail industries for more than a century

Schoolbus Fleet

Serving school transportation professionals in the U.S. and Canada

Please sign in or register to .    Close