The average trip using a sedan pulled in $95 in gross
revenue, compared to $212 for a small stretch limousine and
$285 for a stretch of between 85 inches and 120 inches.
A super stretch of more than 120 inches, meanwhile, pulled
in an average of $332 per trip, according to a survey of
limousine companies conducted by the Taxicab, Limousine and
Paratransit Association of Kensington, Md.
The survey was based on responses from 47 fleets,
representing a total of 1,557 vehicles. Nearly half of the
respondents – 48% – reported annual gross revenues of less
Some of the TLPA findings were similar to LCT’s 2003
Operator Survey (September 2003 issue) but there were some
differences. In addition, the TLPA survey included some
questions that were not asked in the LCT survey.
Highlights of the TLPA survey included:
* The average per vehicle insurance premium was $3,495 a
year, according to survey respondents.
* More than eight out of 10 operators, or 81.8% of those
responding, have experienced an increase in their insurance
rates. Premiums increased by an average of 21.8%, the
* The average number of trips per vehicle per year was
2,087, the survey found.
* Nearly half of the respondents – 45.4% - reported year-to-
year revenue growth, with 18.2% reporting no revenue growth
and slightly more than a third – 36.4% - reported a
decrease in revenue.
* The average hourly rate for ranged from a low of $45 for
sedans to $97 for super-stretches.
* Sedans were the hardest-working vehicles in operators’
fleets, being driven an average of 54,347 miles a year.
This compared to an average of 36,664 miles a year for
small stretches, 31,279 for medium-sized stretches and
19,362 super-stretches of 120 inches or more.
* Fifty-seven percent of the respondents reported that they
work with a limousine network.
* Thirty-nine percent of the respondents reported that
their chauffeurs were independent contractors, compared to
61% of the respondents classifying them as company
* Two out of three operators responding to the survey said
they had company Web site. In addition, 40.4% of the
respondents stated that they used an Internet-based
Contact the TLPA at www.tlpa.org or (301) 946-5701.
- Eric Lassiter