The reduction of speed can cut carbon by up to 30% and spur more use of public transportation, says Lee Martinez of Transpo Insurance.
LAS VEGAS -- Remember that fuel costs, repair costs from collisions, maintenance costs, and liability-based injuries all decline when chauffeurs stay within speed limits. The life of the vehicle is also extended. It may be time to look at these parameters again as the limousine industry seeks ways to reduces carbon emissons and consumption of fossil fuels while ensuring passenger safety.
Here are 10 key reasons why speed reduction can benefit chauffeured operations:
- 1. As the above linked article states, carbon emissions are reduced.
- 2. Collision severity is reduced.
- 3. Physical damage to autos are reduced.
- 4. Fuel consumption is reduced.
- 5. Wear and tear is reduced.
- 6. Life of fleet is increased.
- 7. Lower premiums due to decreased claims, better driver selection and expenses.
- 8. Better driving records.
- 9. Limos charge for the time it takes so revenue could be increased.
- 10. The image of the chauffeured transportation industry could improve as the NASCAR/taxi image subsides.
-- Lee Martinez, TRANSPO INSURANCE, PUBLIC AUTO RISKS