WASHINGTON, D.C. — The American Bus Association Foundation recently announced its annual George T. Snyder Scholarship Award winners for the 2011-2012 academic year.
One student, Abigail Demke from Dattco, is the winner of the $10,000 Driving the Future Award. Nineteen other students will be presented with scholarships of $2,500.
The program is in its 14th year and is designed to support college students pursuing coursework with the goal towards a career in the motorcoach, tourism and travel industry.
The ABA Scholarship Program was established after the death in 1995 of George T. Snyder, Jr., who was President and CEO of ABA. A large part of Snyder's career was his concern for education and the opportunities for advancement it could bring. Since the scholarships were first awarded, the ABA Foundation has given out $400,000.
"These scholarships are a ground floor investment in cultivating the next generation of leaders in our industry,” said ABA Foundation Board of Governors Chairman Doug Anderson. “As a foundation, we need to find and help support the students of today who will be at the forefront of the motorcoach, tourism and travel industry in the future.”
The Foundation also sponsors research to show the motorcoach community's value to society, including how its presence in many communities nationwide binds the nation together, promotes environmentally-friendly travel, and infuses tourism dollars into the economy at every destination a group visits via motorcoach.
This year's winners are:
- Marissa Goebel --- Lakefront Lines
- John Sutton --- Vision Tours
- Robert Morrow --- Fullington Auto Bus Company
- Mackinleigh Isherwood --- Custom Coach and Limousine
- John Gaffney --- Saddle River Tours
- Thomas Pjevach --- Wisconsin Coach Lines
- Patrick Guarino --- New York Trailways
- Melissa Dolly --- Star Transit Company
- Angela Offerman --- Explore Minnesota Tourism
- Alexandra Shutt --- Crescent Hotels and Resorts
- Stacy Martin --- Daimler Buses North America
- Jahquille Hendricks --- Dattco
- Joshua Goebel --- Lakefront Lines
- Keven Prouix --- Prevost Car Inc.
- Jesse Carlstrom --- Alaska Travel Industry Association
- Mary Gibson
- Jasmine Dottin
- Peter Picknelly, Sr.
- Jason Hellinger --- MCI Fleet Support
Ron Cornell Memorial
- Stephen Guarino --- New York Trailways
Driving the Future Award
Source: ABA; Michael Campos, LCT assistant editor