How To Craft An Effective Sales Pitch

Posted on January 11, 2012 by LCT Magazine

The traditional meaning of the sales pitch “typically conjures up images of a one-way presentation, with the salesperson talking at a prospect, which is not the effective way to sell,” says Art Sobczak, president of He says people often assume that where there’s a pitch, there’s a catch, and people will look for something to object to. Instead, salespeople should treat the pitch process as a “collaborative conversation.”
Here are some of the highlights from the Forbes article (read the complete article here):
1.    Don’t use the word ‘pitch’; call it a ‘recommendation’ so prospects know you want to engage in a conversation and help them.
2.    Ask questions, listen to the prospect, and offer them a solution to the problem.
3.    An effective sales pitch isn’t a monologue, it’s a dialogue.
4.    Do your homework. Know enough about your buyer so you can address how your service can benefit that specific client.
5.    Identify your objectives. Your goal is to get the prospect’s attention and agreement to have a discussion about how you can help them with something specific.
6.    Begin the pitch by asking questions to uncover and understand the prospect’s needs.
7.    Talk 20% of the time and listen the other 80%. Identify the problems you can solve, the opportunities you can capture, and the wants or needs that are addressed by the solution.
8.    Show metrics and proof of what you can do or have done in the past.
9.    Use the prospect’s language. Ask about a difficulty or challenge they have and address it in your recommendation using their exact language.
10.Ask for a commitment at the end of the conversation.
View comments or post a comment on this story. (0 Comments)

More LCT Blog Blog Posts

October 1, 2012

Event Management

Don't let your guests down. Here are some things to think about before the event starts.

September 26, 2012

October LCT Mag Focuses On Customer Service

ISSUE PREVIEW: What does he think? What did she really say? Are you channeling your customers? In the October 2012 issue of LCT Magazine, you’ll get a complete primer on how to read and please your
September 26, 2012

Driverless Cars Legalized In California

With no need for people to operate vehicles, how can limo companies adapt to the new world of transportation?
September 26, 2012

Manners Still Matter On Social Media

It has never before been easier for businesses to share information, insight and intimacy with consumers; it has also never been easier to offend them. Read more to learn how to avoid a social media faux pas.
September 20, 2012

My First Encounter With The 2013 Lincoln MKT Town Car

On my trip to Chicago last week for the 2012 BusCon Expo, I had the pleasure of experiencing a new ride — the 2013 MKT Town Car.
See More

Facebook Comments ()

Comments (0)

Post a Comment



See More

See More

See More

See More

LCT Store

LCT Magazine - January 2017 $12.95 THE MONEY ISSUE COVER STORY: * Dashboard Helps Steer Company Finances * *
LCT Magazine - December 2016 $12.95 GLOBAL/INTERNATIONAL ISSUE COVER STORY: * The Coolest Operators on the Planet * *


Experience the three annual industry events for networking for business, showcasing vehicles and products, and getting the tools for success.

Read About Your Region

What’s Happening Near You?
Click on any state to see the latest industry news and events in that region.

More From The World's Largest Fleet Publisher

Automotive Fleet

The Car and truck fleet and leasing management magazine

Business Fleet

managing 10-50 company vehicles

Fleet Financials

Executive vehicle management

Government Fleet

managing public sector vehicles & equipment


Work Truck Magazine

The number 1 resource for vocational truck fleets

Metro Magazine

Serving the bus and passenger rail industries for more than a century

Schoolbus Fleet

Serving school transportation professionals in the U.S. and Canada

Please sign in or register to .    Close